Squash Casserole is an easy, side dish that goes with any meal. Slices of tender zucchini and yellow summer squash meld with a crunchy breadcrumb topping for a satisfying side dish. It’s so simple to prepare, and it’s a terrific way to entice the kids and adults alike to eat their veggies! this is the perfect side to serve with weeknight dinners or at your Thanksgiving table! Enjoy a delicious veggie side dish with this Southern Zucchini Squash Casserole! Topped with the crunch of panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, this baked casserole has what it takes to grace any table from holidays to cookouts!
- onion 1
- butter 1 tablespoon
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- Italian seasoning ½ teaspoon
- squash (yellow squash and zucchini) 2 pounds
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese ¼ cup
- cheddar cheese ¼ cup
- seasoned bread crumbs ⅓ cup
- butter 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 330°F. Slice squash/zucchini into 1/3″ slices.
- Cook onion in butter and oil until tender. Add squash, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook 5-6 minutes.
- Place squash and onions in a greased 2 qt casserole dish. Combine melted butter, cheeses, and breadcrumbs in a small dish. Sprinkle over squash.
- Bake 40 minutes.
Liz grew up in a farmer’s family. Her father grew a lot of zucchini, and her mother often made zucchini casserole. So she liked this dish since early childhood, and she decided to share the recipe with us. Liz says that this dish is not only very healthy but also very tasty. She says that it’s her favorite dish