The pecans and cherries in this recipe enhance both the look and flavor of these delicious Mexican treats. The cocoa powder and coffee powder make them rich and delicious. Mexican fiesta balls are traditionally served at fiestas and celebrations but make exciting snacks too.
Guests will be sure to compliment you if you serve these delicious cookies with coffee or hot chocolate after the meal because of the wonderful mixture of flavors in every bite! The following recipe makes sixty cookies but you can halve the ingredients if you do not want to make so many at once. The cooking time will be the same.
- Butter, at room temperature 1 cup
- Sugar ½ cup
- Vanilla 2 teaspoons
- sifted Flour 2 cups
- Cocoa ¼ cup
- Instant Coffee Powder 1 tablespoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- finely chopped Pecans, or Walnuts, etc. 1 cup
- chopped, well-drained Red Maraschino Cherries ¼ cup
- chopped, well-drained Green Maraschino Cherries ¼ cup
- Confectioners’ Sugar, for coating 1 cup
- Beat butter until light; gradually add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat to blend well.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, coffee powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Blend in pecans and cherries; chill until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into balls 1-inch in diameter and place 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake in slow oven ( 325 F ) 20 minutes. Remove cookies to cooling racks and, while warm, roll in confectioners’ sugar. Makes 5 dozen.
Mexican Fiesta Balls is a very tasty dish that will appeal to both children and adults. The incredible taste makes this dish unforgettable. Personally, I am ready to eat this dish at least every day for several servings. I advise you to also try to cook Mexican Fiesta Balls and enjoy this taste.